[Mailman-Users] HTML messages

Christopher G. Petrilli petrilli at amber.org
Tue Jan 26 03:42:49 CET 1999

On Mon, Jan 25, 1999 at 06:29:56PM -0800, J C Lawrence wrote:

> My interest here (I haven't got to poking at mailman in these areas
> yet):
>
>   -- Rigorously correct MIME digest support (along with the ability
> to nut support RFC 1503 digests and to force a bogus Reply-To on
> digests to help force people to burst them before replying).

I agree here, we should pursue absolute standards adheerance wherever
possible (assuming there is a standard :-).

>   -- MIME type stripping.  eg stripping vcards and other specific
> MIME types on inbound mails and then checking the resulting message
> for actual data content (MIME part with non-zero data content).

This fits in with the idea I've been toying with, which is a generic
"incoming filter" which provides the ability to plug-in filters, such as
what you mention... additionally, the ability to automagically whack off
HTML text, etc.  Also, the ability to strip all this, and
"intellegently" flatten into a raw text message for inclusion in a
digest, or normal processing.

This seems reasonable, so long as it's "optional"... Personally, I'd
like to be able to specify in both +/- fashion what is allowed... I only
want text on my mailing lists, no HTML, no attachments, no GIFs, etc...

Heck, I suppose you could even shove the HTML body throgh a quick parser
and reduce it to an ASCII message intellegently (shouldn't need to
support more than the bare minimum of P, and the stripping of tables).

Chris