[Mailman-Users] Re: CLosed unsubscribe?

sen_ml at eccosys.com sen_ml at eccosys.com
Thu Jul 29 03:55:45 CEST 1999

At around Wed, 28 Jul 1999 11:12:12 -0600,
 John-David Childs <jdc at nterprise.net> may have mentioned:

> On Wednesday July 28, 1999, John Viega <John at list.org>
>  had this to say about "Re: [Mailman-Users] CLosed unsubscribe?":
>
> > Wow, I don't think anyone had ever anticipated someone wanting to do
> > this.  It'd need to be added to the system.
> >
> > John
>
> I do this with our "customer" and "outage" mailing lists...we don't want
> people unsubscribing themselves and then complaining that we didn't send
> them notification of a problem.  Currently with mailman, the administrator
> receives all notifications of unsubs and just "invisibly" resubscribes
> them.

this seems to be a tricky issue...imho, if this functionality were
supported i would hope that if one were to run a list configured this way
that the unsubscription policy of the list be made very clear before
the subscription was completed.

in the case of customers, i would hope that the unsubscription policy
for the list is explained in any agreements -- alternatively, in some
cases it seems like stating up front that unsubscribing means problem
notification is likely to stop, might work.

i know i don't want to be on any lists i can't unsubscribe from as a
user :-)  oops, am i baiting someone?  *grin*