[Mailman-Users] users object to [listname] prefix

Barry A. Warsaw bwarsaw at cnri.reston.va.us
Thu Jul 29 22:11:57 CEST 1999

    JS> I should send you the 14 messages totalling 42k of email which
    JS> the use of the prefix generated on the list! :-) Many users
    JS> seemed quite upset.  Only a couple wanted the feature.
    JS> Remarkable...  I personally think it's useful.

I completely remove the prefix for python-list at python.org, but for
most other lists I keep the prefix.  Personally I prefer them, but for
my filtering software, it really is redundant information.

    JS> btw, is there anything that can be done about mailers sending
    JS> bounce messages which Mailman doesn't recognize?  Most bounces
    JS> seem to be handled automatically, but some aren't, and they
    JS> seem to be all from MS Exchange or Lotus Bloats.  Has anyone
    JS> else seen this?  I can provide samples.

Bounce detection is pretty ad-hoc right now, being composed of gobs of
crufty regexps.  At some point we should bring sanity to this part of
the system.  For now, I'm just trying to collect bounces that don't
get recognized.  If possible, submit a bug report and include the
entire bounce.

-Barry