[Mailman-Users] Mailman customizations...

Greg Stein gstein at lyra.org
Mon Mar 1 23:24:41 CET 1999

jwm at plain.co.nz wrote:
> Greg Stein writes:
>  >...
>  > This seems overkill. Why don't you simply have the form post to that
>  > other machine? Why monkey with SSH setups and simulating a CGI on the
>  > target machine? That seems like a very non-intuitive approach.
>
> It seemed like a neat hack. :-)

hehe. well... I guess that can usually count as a Good Reason...

:-)

>  > This is something like the second or third time where I've heard people
>  > wanting to use SSH to communicate to the other machine. Just post the
>  > form over there.
>
> Basically because we don't want to run a web server on that
> machine. It's got enough ports open to the net without adding
> port 80.

Hmm. Well, you can certainly lock a web server down far enough to
effectively be just a port listener for a CGI script. As a security
issue, it shouldn't be a concern. However, it would be Yet Another
Server to Manager.

> But as I'm building up a 'Running mailman separate from the servers'
> HOWTO, I'll give the forms idea a go.

Ah. If you're doing a HOWTO, then please add this mechanism. It works
great for my setup. I'd also want to detail how my mail handling is
done, too. I made a couple posts in January about my setup. Please refer
to them for information or drop me an email. Glad to help!

thx
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/