[Mailman-Users] Sending a human message to the LISTNAME-request address.

Dan Delaney Dionysos at Dionysia.org
Thu Mar 18 22:05:41 CET 1999

On Thu, 18 Mar 1999, The List Server Administrator at UNH wrote:
>     Don't you think it would make sense for the server
>     to include some sort of information on how to get help?

I have to agree whole heartedly on that one. One of the things I
really like about Petidomo is that if it receives a message with NO
commands it actually replies with a copy of the help file with a
subject of something like "Your request was indeciferable." Now
THAT's friendly. And there's no need for an "end" command on
Petidomo because it simply and quietly ignores lines which are not
commands. If I send it a command and leave my sig in the message,
all I get in reply is the status or result of my command. It does't
tell me that it couldn't understand EVERY SINGLE LINE of my message
(as with Bill's example).

> Separating the displayed text from the code allows for much
> easier internationalization as well as making it easier for
> different sites to customize the messages as necessary to
> reflect local policies.

That is an excellent idea.

 --Dan

 Daniel G. Delaney                    The Louisville Times Chorus
 Dionysos at Dionysia.org                   www.LouisvilleTimes.org
 www.Dionysia.org/~dionysos/          Dionysia Design
 ICQ Number: 8171285                     www.Dionysia.com/design/
    "Only two things are infinite: the universe and stupidity--
     and I'm not sure about the former."
                                          --Albert Einstein