[Mailman-Users] How does Mailman use identd?

Christopher Petrilli petrilli at amber.org
Tue Mar 23 16:09:48 CET 1999

On Tue, Mar 23, 1999 at 08:48:32AM -0600, Paul Barnett wrote:
> I just subscribed to the mailman-announce list.

Welcome :-) Wilkommen :-)

> About that time, my firewall denied eight requests to port 113 (identd) from
> parrot.python.org

Sounds like an MTA using identd to figure out who is sending mail, this
is done a lot to try and track spam... it's not that out of the
ordinary.

> It obviously failed, but I still got the subscription confirmation.

Yup, it's not a "stop" but just an "FYI" piece of information.

> How does it use the information, if it manages to get it?

I believe Gudio uses it to target his new beta mind-altering
Pythonicmindbenderwidget contraption... but I could be wrong :-)

Chris