[Mailman-Users] Using htdig for archive searches

Richard Ellerbrock richarde at eskom.co.za
Fri Nov 12 08:22:37 CET 1999

>I've installed ht://Dig and set it to index my mailing list archives.  I
>want to add some HTML to the archives index of my list to allow archive
>searches (adding the search terms listname and pipermail to whatever the
>user types in will make sure the search only returns results for that
>particular mailing list and not for other things on my site.)
>
>First I tried editing the archives index page for my lists using the
>web-based admin stuff, but that didn't do anything.  (What is the archives
>index page?  It doesn't seem to be the archives index.)

No, don't do that! The trick is to modify the htdig search page to tell it where to start the search. This is done by passing a "restrict" variable to htdig via your html. Here is my search page that demonstrates that.

Using this method, you can have a many search pages as you like all using the same htdig database. Works really well.

Sorry for sending an attachment to the list, but it is really small.

--
Richard Ellerbrock
richarde at eskom.co.za