[Mailman-Users] A Vote Against Passwords

Derek Simkowiak dereks at kd-dev.com
Tue Aug 1 19:59:43 CEST 2000

-> > i second this.  i wish people had the ability to sub/unsub without
-> > using a password.
-> > >
-> > >     I vote to have the password facilities in Mailman toned down. I
-> > >     would like them removed but at least to make this optional.
->
-> That kind of opens subscriptions up to mischief, doesn't it?

	If it becomes a problem for my list, I'll turn on passwords.  But
until it's an issue, I don't want to bug people with it.  Bottom line,
most people don't even know what a "password" is (in computing terms), and
it confuses the hell out of them.

->  Or do you propose going to an entirely confirmation-mail method of
-> ensuring people aren't subscribed/unsubscribed without their
-> consent?

	Nope.  If people suddenly start getting subscribed/unsubbed
without their consent, I'll turn on the passwords.  But on all of my
Majordomo lists, that has simply not been a problem.

	In short: it's a policy decision, not a technical one, and MailMan
currently has the limitation of not letting me set the policy I desire.

--Derek