[Mailman-Users] Install headache

paz paz at apriori.net
Mon Aug 28 21:59:58 CEST 2000

Installing 2.0b5 on FreeBSD 3.4. Apache 1.3.9. Python installed and
apparently happy.

I've tried a few different install attempts based on prior notes and the
install instructions. Also tried the package from the FreeBSD site; no
joy. I grabbed the source and began...

As root:
Created user mailman. FreeBSD adduser created group mailman at the same
time. Default shell is tcsh.

Switched to user mailman.
Copied mailman-2.0beta5 into /home/mailman/mailman-2.0beta5.tgz.
tar xvzf mailman-2.0beta5.tgz. Saw much stuff created.

su - root
chmod -R g+s /home/mailman

drop back to user mailman
cd to /home/mailman/mailman-2.0beta5

./configure --with-mail-gid=1 --with-cgi-gid=65534
make
make install
bin/check_perms

Console displays:

mailman @ harpo:~/mailman/mailman-2.0beta5[114] bin/check_perms
Traceback (innermost last):
  File "bin/check_perms", line 35, in ?
    import paths
ImportError: No module named paths
mailman @ harpo:~/mailman/mailman-2.0beta5[115] cat /etc/group

The same display occurs for bin/check_perms -f.

I tried ignoring this and plowing on anyway. I edited the apache.conf file
to provide the pipermail alias and the cgi ScriptAlias and restarted the
server.

I tried creating a list to test things out. Here's what I got:

mailman @ harpo:~/mailman/mailman-2.0beta5[106] ./bin/newlist
Traceback (innermost last):
  File "./bin/newlist", line 37, in ?
    import paths
ImportError: No module named paths

I went back a couple of times and did make clean and tried variations on
the theme of

./configure (various options tried here)
make
make install

No joy...

Any help appreciated.