[Mailman-Users] <no subject>

Dan Mick Dan.Mick at West.Sun.COM
Wed Feb 23 02:55:18 CET 2000

> >Something tells me I'm going to have to set up a bot that whenever a mail
> >message mentions RedHat or sendmail 5.9, it just responds with:
> >
> >cd /etc/smrsh
> >ln -s /home/mailman/mail/wrapper wrapper
> >
> >This is getting extremely tedious, especially since it's in the install
> >documentation.
>
> If I may be so bold as to make a suggestion to the developers:
>
> Add the smrsh lines to README.LINUX, and be more explicit in the "Problems"
> section of INSTALL. It will help both folks who don't spend the time poring
> over every word of the documentation and those of us who, after spending 24+
> hours straight setting up a machine after a hard drive died, are on the edge
> of exhaustion and would appreciate things being a little more obvious.

The message has "554" right in it.  Searching for "554" in the
documentation finds the right answer immediately.

It's hard to imagine how "shuffling the order" is going to help
people read docs.  You don't have to read everything in sequence
and remember it to use documentation in a random-access fashion;
that's what careful noting of the error message and "grep" are
for.