[Mailman-Users] mass delete

Dan Mick Dan.Mick at West.Sun.COM
Fri Jun 2 03:56:35 CEST 2000

> Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 18:52:42 -0700
> From: Jason Wright <peewee at scc.mi.org>
> To: mailman-users at python.org
> Subject: Re: [Mailman-Users] mass delete
>
> On Thu, Jun 01, 2000 at 11:42:26AM -0700, Dan Mick spewed forth:
>
> > Is there some reason that the obvious shell combination of bin/list_members
and
> > bin/remove_members won't work?
>
> I've been evaluating 2.0beta2 to replace the sendmail aliases / Listserv
> / Majordomo salad we use to run our various lists.  Some of these lists
> have 20-40000 subscribers and are product announcment lists run by our
> Marketing people.  They don't get shell access to the list servers (and
> wouldn't know what to do with it if they did), so everything has to be
> in the web interface.  Currently, we use Listserv for these big lists,
> since it does provide the bulk add and delete functionality the original
> poster was asking about and which I also require.  Listserv is slow,
> expensive and closed source, though.

Ah, so the question is "is there bulk add or delete through the
web interface"?  Then, as far as I know the answer is "add, but
no passwords can be specified; delete has to be done by checking
a box for every member, but happens a "chunk" at a time after
checking each box".

When I think "mass", I always think "script".  I shudder to
think about a mailing list admin that can't use a shell,
personally, or at least intercede with someone who can...