[Mailman-Users] Postfix problem? Mail goes into mailman, never exits, no errors in log

Nigel Metheringham Nigel.Metheringham at VData.co.uk
Wed Oct 11 10:33:24 CEST 2000

ben at prince.org said:
> The only thing that seems kinda strange to me is that when I do a
> telnet  localhost 25, I get something like:

> Trying ::1...
> telnet: connect to address ::1: connection refused
> Trying 127.0.0.1...
> Connected to localhost... [ETC]

There is a smell of IPv6 here.
What is a DNS lookup of localhost giving you, or whats in your
/etc/hosts file or however you get your name lookups?  I assume you are
getting both a IPv6 loopback and a IPv4 loopback address, in which case
there are 2 solutions:-

  1. Get postfix to support IPv6 and specifically listen on the IPv6
loopback

  2. Rehash your name lookups so that a localhost lookup only returns
     127.0.0.1

  3. [my counting is dodgy]  Change the host that Mailman connects to
via SMTP
     to an explicit IP by adding
	SMTPHOST=127.0.0.1
     to mm_cfg.py

	Nigel.
[ Nigel Metheringham                  Nigel.Metheringham at VData.co.uk ]