[Mailman-Users] Postponing delivery.

Nigel Metheringham Nigel.Metheringham at VData.co.uk
Tue Sep 19 11:57:21 CEST 2000

zvrba at iskon.hr said:
> I switched to sendmail from SMTP injection because of long delays I've
> described before. For the sake of the argument, please create a test
> list and subscribe to it e.g. 100 users from a domain for which the
> DNS is broken (can't be contacted). And see what happens. How long it
> takes qrunner to run. How all other messages will be delayed by
> 100*(connect timeout) minutes etc...

Ugh.  Run a local (network wise, or even on machine) DNS cache.
I run Dan Bernstein's DNS cache to do this (on the mailing list
machine).  Previously I used the ISP local DNS caches.   This is
actually for delivery optomisation but catches other things.

> And I can't lower the limit on timeouts because there are really
> broken domains here in Croatia for which connect() delays are > 1 min.
> Not to mention that we serve some lists with people from Uzbekistan
> etc... Reconfiguring the sendmail to lower timeouts is out of the
> question. There is an option to skip initial DNS query, but it had no
> effect.

I also don't verify recipients on SMTP injection from 127.0.0.1 since
that routing operation is better done by the MTA routing.  It also
works better on passing status back to mailman.

However, in this case, I can't help but think of a saying I heard last
week paraphrased to sendmail rather than a certain OS - "A computer
without sendmail is like a dog without bricks tied to its head".

	Nigel.
	Nigel.
[ Nigel Metheringham                  Nigel.Metheringham at VData.co.uk ]