[Mailman-Users] Getting a Subscriber List

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Sun Sep 24 02:51:52 CEST 2000

On Fri, 22 Sep 2000 14:39:18 -0700 (PDT)
Roger B A Klorese <rogerk at QueerNet.ORG> wrote:

> Yes, but.  Again, why should we *have* to?

Please (and this is written to everybody participating in this
thread).  You are argueing about agreeing with each other.  Really.
Nobody (worth reading) is going to state that more or better
documentation for Mailman would be a Bad Thing.  Nobody is going to
stand up and state that you, or anybody else MAY NOT write
documentation for Mailman, or even that they personally would stand
up in revolt if you actually did write better documentation or even
got someone else to do it for you.  In fact, the resounding chorus
has been that we do actually NEED better documentation and would
someone please hurry up and volunteer or help out the process?

Where I boggle on this is that the argument seems to be over just
exactly how badly we need it.  Ye gadzooks!  Do we really have to
argue over whether the current documentation situation is
catastrohpic or merely just bad-but-livable?  Can't you just step
back from your keyboards, nod wisely, and mutter, "Yup, better
documentation would be a Good Thing!" and feel slightly smug for a
moment?

What makes this even more amusing (to me) is that it was recently
revealed on the list that one of our members and his associates has
been busy writing both user and admin level documentation for
Mailman in the form of PDFs, and in fact have been doing a damned
fine job of it (careful archive hunters will find them).  So this
leaves us argueing over exactly how horribly bad the current
documentation situation really is -- when we already have strong
evidence that it has already been largely addressed.

Now, just too keep things straight 'cause I'm getting a mite bemused
here, would someone mind telling me whether or not we should shut
the stable door after the horse has bolted?  Just for kicks, I'm
going to vote for leaving it open...

J C Lawrence                                 Home: claw at kanga.nu
---------(*)                               Other: coder at kanga.nu
http://www.kanga.nu/~claw/        Keys etc: finger claw at kanga.nu