[Mailman-Users] bad lag?

J C Lawrence claw at 2wire.com
Thu Aug 2 21:12:52 CEST 2001

On Thu, 02 Aug 2001 10:54:23 -0700
Drew Krause <drkrause at mindspring.com> wrote:

> Our list is large (about 650 members) and there's quite a lag from
> posting to receipt -- 90 minutes in some cases. Are there any ways
> we can tune this? Running with mailman 2.0.6 with sendmail on
> Redhat 7.

Odds are you have your MTA configured to do DNS lookup verifications
of message envelopes.  This can and will chew significant time.  It
will chew even more time if you don't have a local cacheing name
server.

Note: There are second order problems with turning off DNS checks
under Sendmail (see prior messages from Chuq).  Recommend: Lose
sendmail and get a decent MTA.

--
J C Lawrence                                    )\._.,--....,'``.