[Mailman-Users] Mailman, Ownership, and Apache

Tim Roberts waterknot1 at mac.com
Wed Aug 8 23:45:24 CEST 2001

Well, I may have finally gotten this figured out.
Thanks to a friend who is a Linux/Unix wiz who gave me the key for the
I would have to look back to see who suggested making everything in the
$prefix directory user=mailman,
group=mailman. I did that using "chown -R mailman ."  and "chgrp -R
mailman ."
That did not work, but then I did this:

%cd ./cgi-bin
%chown www *

The next part come from my Linux buddy.

"You also should have a <Directory> block relating to this alias in your
httpd.conf file.  This should work if you paste it after the ScriptAlias

<Directory "/Users/timrob/mailman/cgi-bin/">
     AllowOverride None
     Options ExecCGI
     Order allow,deny
     Allow from all

The ExecCGI is the crucial point here as it allows the files inside the
directory to be executed."

My ScriptAlias line reads:

ScriptAlias /mailman/ "/Users/timrob/mailman/cgi-bin/"

So, does anyone see any problem with this setup?
It appears to be working now, so that is my main objective.
However, I still want to be sure it is a secure configuration.

Tim Roberts
mailto:waterknot1 at mac.com