[Mailman-Users] Slash in email address???

Devdas Bhagat devdas at worldgatein.net
Thu Aug 16 15:15:15 CEST 2001

On Thu, 16 Aug 2001, Enriko Groen spewed into the ether:

A bad idea for those of us who run *nix systems. Nothing wrong from a
Windows POV and from a X.500 schema POV, which is what the original
mail subscriber seems to be complaining about..

> You might solve the problem for him, but on another server he will have the
> same problem.
> People are free not to follow standards, but they should not complain if
> things fail.
The only invalid character would be a @, which acts as a separator and
hence has to be unique.
By convention, %, + and/or - have acquired special meanings to various
pieces of software, and therefore should not be used.
The / has no such restriction. Mailman has a problem in that it *has*
to remove shell metacharacters and / for system security (given that
the list is being passed to a program).
Maybe David can find the whitelist of characters in mailman and add the
/ to those to solve his problem. This remains a bad idea, however, from
a security POV.

Devdas Bhagat
--
... I want a COLOR T.V. and a VIBRATING BED!!!