[Mailman-Users] Slash in email address???

David Gibbs david at midrange.com
Thu Aug 16 19:11:26 CEST 2001

> > Reply to the user stating to get another/different emailaddress.
> Many people don't have control over what their email address is; it may
> be chosen by some faraway pinhead IT type.

This is exactly the case.  The subscriber reports that the Lotus Notes
administrator says there's nothing they can do about it right now
(lame).  This is one of the reasons I really hate Lotus Notes.

> > People are free not to follow standards, but they should not complain if
> > things fail.
> ... the relevant standard here, RFC 822, is quite liberal in what
> constitutes an email address.  (Probably necessary because it predates
> the days of "everyone" being "username at example.com" -- and becaue there
> are indeed people out there with slashes, percent signs, and so forth in
> their email addresses.

Thanks for that info!

> is a perfectly valid email address.  If Mailman can't handle this, then
> IMHO Mailman is broken.  "Be liberal in what you accept, and
> conservative in what you emit."

I would be more than willing to help someone, more versed in Python
than I, debug a patch.  I'm running 2.0.6 of Mailman.

david