[Mailman-Users] Upgrading while including my customizations.

Ben Burnett benwa at ocentrix.com
Wed Aug 22 22:42:55 CEST 2001

Hey All,

I'm currently running Python 1.5.2 and Mailman 2.0.3.  I've made some
modifications to a few of the installed Mailman scripts and default
templates.  I would like to upgrade to the latest Mailman version (2.0.6
IIRC).  I know that some of you have been in this same position and I'm
curious as to what advice you could give me in doing this.

I'm familiar with diff and patch, but not intimately.  It seems that what I
need to do is create a diff of my changes against 2.0.3 source and then
merge patches from 2.0.3 to 2.0.6 ( 2.0.3 to 2.0.4, 2.0.4 to 2.0.5, and
2.0.5 to 2.0.6 IIRC corrections?) with my changes.  I'm wondering if anyone
knows of a systematic way to do this.  I could plod through it hoping for
the best, but the trick is to do it without lengthy interruptions to my
list traffic (which to tell you the truth is right around zero, but I'm
expecting it to grow and I need the practice upgrading).

I am aware of the "UPGRADING" file but it seems to have remained untouched
since version 2.0.2. This file says that upgrading and deploying a new
version won't touch the html templates for existing lists.  Does this still
apply to the latest version?  What about the default template files?

Does anyone have any pointers for making this upgrade process easier?

Do you have a checklist?
Have you run across any specific gotchas while doing this?
Should I just try starting with a fresh install of 2.0.6 instead and
migrate my lists over?
What steps should I take to make this easier in the future for when 2.1 is
released?

pondering the inevitable,

- Ben