[Mailman-Users] Invalid user entry.

Charlie Watts cewatts at frontier.net
Mon Aug 27 03:29:50 CEST 2001

On Fri, 24 Aug 2001, Eric Brueggmann wrote:

> 	I'm in the process of migrating a few (~500) mailing lists from
> majordomo to mailman.  Some of the user entries in the lists are filenames.
> (ie: /user/username/reflectors)  This seems like a really bad way of doing
> things, but..  I didn't want to cause any trouble with the listadmins so
> I'm deciding to keep it the way it is.  The only problem is that mailman
> dosen't like the entry.  The error it gives is:
>
>     * /user/XXXXXXX/npdreflectors -- Hostile Address (illegal characters)
>
> Is there a way around this?  (besides a local mail filter?)  Sorry if this
> question was asked before but I didn't see it on the FAQ, nor the "Site Admin
> Guide".  Btw, both of which were very nicely done.

Nope. It just won't work - mailman and majordomo have some fundamental
differences. Majordomo is able to work with paths to files because it does
not speak SMTP; It only mangles your MTA's alias files. It's actually your
MTA that understands the path-to-file-as-valid-alias-expansion syntax.

Mailman works with destination E-mail addresses. A file is not an E-mail
address, so you'll have to take the addresses out of those files and feed
them to mailman.

Alternatively, you could create an alias in your MTA that points to those
files, and subscribe that alias to the list - but that's a bad idea,
because then the individual users can't subscribe and unsubscribe via
Mailman.

--
Charlie Watts
cewatts at frontier.net