[Mailman-Users] disabling archives

Joshua Gould gould at cis.ohio-state.edu
Wed Dec 12 16:15:25 CET 2001

"Jon Carnes" <jonc at haht.com> writes:

> Oddly enough, this is under the Archival section of the web-admin...
> You can turn it off there.  Then, if you want to remove all the old
> archives, you will need to login to the server and delete the files out of
> ~mailman/archives/private/<listname>/

Jon,

If I'm understanding correctly, you are saying to visit:

http://localhost/mailman/admin/testlist/archive

and set "Archive messages?" to no.   Correct?

The problem with this approach is that:

1.> I would have to do it for all of our lists and we have TONS.

2.> New lists are still created with archiving on by default, so you would
    need to change this for all new lists too.

3.> If this list admin is someone other than me, they can simply log in and
    re-enable archiving.

Is there another way to disable archiving site wide?

  Joshua