[Mailman-Users] Massive list prevents other lists' posts?

Matthew Seidl seidl at vex.cs.colorado.edu
Tue Feb 27 21:19:35 CET 2001

On Tue, 27 Feb 2001 11:54:02 -0800, Neil Kandalgaonkar writes:

>We're using Mailman to manage many lists. Our announcement list
>is very large, 50,000+ users.
>
>Whenever we post a message to the very large list, posts stop
>flowing from the others.
>
>I've looked through the Mailman source to figure out why, and I'm stumped.
>It seems to me that nothing should be impeding the other lists from
>injecting their messages into the queue, interleaved with the mass
>mailout from the announcement list.
>
>If I add a new member to a list, that member gets their welcome message
>instantly. So there isn't a fundamental resource limitation here. A post
>to that list, however, doesn't get through.
>
>Any suggestions on how to fix this?

I'm a total mailman neophite, but I'll take a stab.

I believe that mailman hands the mail and to list to sendmail
syncronisly.  So that qrunner waits till sendmail returns before it
goes on.  So it may take some time on a big chuck.

I believe a future release will have more multi-threading here, and
better qfile handling.  But I should let the master's speak.

-=- Matthew L. Seidl 		email: seidl at cs.colorado.edu                =-=
=-= Graduate Student 			Project . . . What Project?	    -=-
-=- http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~seidl/Home.html          -Morrow Quotes     =-=
=-= http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~seidl/lawsuit                               -=-