[Mailman-Users] Can't find some fundemental documentation

Alan Chandler alan at chandlerfamily.org.uk
Sat Mar 10 01:26:13 CET 2001

On Fri, 09 Mar 2001 12:52:15 -0800, Dan Mick wrote:

>"Orion (Steve Pirk)" wrote:
>>
>> I believe the "options" for this function are under the
>> Mail-News and News-Mail gateways link in the Admin menus.
>> http://yourhost.com/mailman/admin/yourlist/
>>
>> Not sure where any other documentation resides (except
>> people on this list :-)
>
>http://www.aurora.edu/~ckolar/mailman/mailman-administration-v2.html
>
>which you can easily find as links from www.list.org, the home Mailman
>site.  It's not even difficult.

Agreed its not difficult if you know where to look.  But with the
whole of this package, the simple overview which explains the basic
concepts and points you in the right direction is missing. All
documents I've read start at the deep end and assume you've already
installed and fully understand how it works/.

I spent ages trying to understand how messages were passed from my MTA
to Mailman - couldn't find any documentation anywhere.  It was ONLY
when I actually created a list that it became obvious from what the
aliases it told me to create was that it was piping into a program.

Now I like to plan what I am going to do and check out the
documentation for a number of competing packages before jumping.  With
Mailman its been a stuggle all the way.

Alan

alan at chandlerfamily.org.uk
http://www.chandler.u-net.com