[Mailman-Users] Qrunner probs. with Sendmail

Dave Klingler davek at mail.commercedata.com
Wed Mar 14 06:17:50 CET 2001

Whew.  That was subtle.  Thanks for the heads up, Dan and Steve.  I had been
procrastinating on telneting into port 25 because it'd been so long since I'd
done it I couldn't remember what I would do afterward.  I wish I'd tried that
first.

I had some extra carriage returns in my inetd.conf.  The arguments didn't show
up in a ps because the lines were long enough that they got truncated.
so I thought the right processes were actually running with the arguments
intact.

So inetd would start up tcp_virtuald (a virtual tcp wrapper) which would start
up the sendmail with bogus, truncated arguments.  Qrunner would run and then
exit without (I thought) leaving much to go on, although in retrospect it was a
big red flag.  Luckily I popped into my inetd.conf just to check things one
last time.  I started to turn all the virtual wrapper stuff off and (good thing
I use vi) noticed that a "$" didn't take me to the end of a line.  Doh!

So thanks!  You put me on the right track.

Dave Klingler