[Mailman-Users] New Installation Permissions Problem (Linux)

Robert Glover rob at lists.f-body.org
Fri Mar 16 15:08:29 CET 2001

After having zero luck getting Mailman to run on a FreeBSD 4.1
installation, I switched to Linux.  It's Redhat 6.1 (it's what was
available).

I configured it exactly the same way I did on FreeBSD.  The web interface
works fine, but any attempt to email a subscription request, or post to a
list, and you get an error like this:

"|/home/mailman/mail/wrapper mailcmd ba-f-body"
    (expanded from: <ba-f-body-request at lists.f-body.org>)

sh: wrapper not available for sendmail programs
554 "|/home/mailman/mail/wrapper mailcmd ba-f-body"... Service unavailable

So I emailed a friend who knows more about Linux than I do, and he said I
had to put wrapper into the /etc/smrsh directory in order for sendmail to
be able to execute it. Fine, I did. Now when attempting to sub or post to
a list, I get this error:

"|/home/mailman/mail/wrapper post ba-f-body"
    (expanded from: <ba-f-body at lists.f-body.org>)

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/mailman/scripts/post", line 94, in ?
    main()
  File "/home/mailman/scripts/post", line 73, in main
    mlist = MailList.MailList(listname, lock=0)
  File "/home/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 79, in __init__
    self.Load()
  File "/home/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 891, in Load
    dict, e = self.__load(dbfile)
  File "/home/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 868, in __load
    fp = open(dbfile)
IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied:
'/home/mailman/lists/ba-f-body/config.db'
554 "|/home/mailman/mail/wrapper post ba-f-body"... unknown mailer error 1

And this happens regardless of whether wrapper is executed from its native
location or from the new location (via symlink).  In fact, if I symlink to
the /etc/smrsh location, check_perms doesn't like it.  That doesn't appear
to matter, since I get this error in either case.

So at this point I'm completely stuck.  Any help would be greatly
appreciated!!!

Rob