[Mailman-Users] Wish List

Phydeaux reb at taco.com
Sat Mar 31 00:47:34 CEST 2001

At 05:14 PM 3/30/2001 -0500, Robert V. MacQuarrie wrote:
>Absolutely the best mailing list manager I have ever used! Thanks!
>
>One feature I'd love to see added would be an option to allow new list
>members to only view archives from there joining date. For example, if
>user joins or is added on 3.30.2001 then they should only be able to view
>archives dated from that date and not before.

I fail to see why this would be at all useful. I find it's great when users
peruse the archives because it at least offers some slim hope that
the same question is not brought up again and again and again...

>[...] 3 of the discussion forms I maintain require a discussion on if said
>user should be added on not and members get to voice their opinions and
>concerns before the new user is added (if everyone agrees). I'm sure there
>could be other reasons for an option such as this aswell.

Hey -- it's ancient history... if the data is there and the new list member
wants to see it he is *going* to find a way (like ask a friend who is
also on the list but who has been there longer) ... from my experience
the best thing to do is to let everyone know that what they say will
be "on record."

IMHO this is likely to be much more trouble than it is worth.

>Again, thanks for a great list manager!

Agreed!

reb