[Mailman-Users] Maybe this is a FAQ, I'm not sure

Marco van Tol marco at tols.org
Tue May 8 09:37:47 CEST 2001

On Mon, May 07, 2001 at 10:56:42PM -0700, J C Lawrence wrote:

> On Mon, 7 May 2001 11:35:32 +0200
> Marco van Tol <marco at tols.org> wrote:
>
> > Hi, In the past I have tried to run a maillist using MajorDomo,
> > but couldn't get it to prevent external people from mailing to
> > lists by telnetting to port 25 of the mail server claiming to be
> > anybody that is inside the list.
>
> Given the current state of deployed technology, there is no proper
> handling for this except hand moderatorating the list.  SMTP/TLS is
> a potenial long term address, but its current use is small and
> there's no guarantee that they chain of authentication extends back
> to the original sender.

OK, I spent some time trying to think of something myself, but couldn't come
up with something good. I'll keep an eye on SMTP/TLS, after finding out what
it is to start with. ;-)

Thank you for your reply.

Marco van Tol

--
Marco van Tol [mailto:marco at tols.org] [http://www.tols.org]
A baby is an alimentary canal with a loud voice at one end and no