[Mailman-Users] no mail delivery

Hendrik Runte hr at granus.net
Sun May 13 15:46:45 CEST 2001

Dear list-members,

I searched the archives and the whole web without any success. So, you'll understand that any help on the following topic will be appreciated:

Trying to install Mailman-2.0.5 failed. Honestly, it's my 6th try, and I think it's time to ask some people being more successful. Any try produced these errors: The postings are not delivered to the list members. Additionally, a confirmation request from any subscriber never arrives at the subscriber's mail account.

This is how I tried to install mailman on a Cobalt RaQ3 with sendmail 8.9.3:

- unpacking, creating mailman:mailman, creating /home/mailman right as shown in the installation guide at lists.org

- my options to do ./configure were:
--prefix=/home/mailman
--with-username=mailman
--with-mail-gid=mail
--with-cgi-gid=httpd

- adding a symbolic link to /etc/smrsh:
12492    0 lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           26 May 13 14:48 wrapper -> /home/mailman/mail/wrapper

- mm_cfg.py:
from Defaults import *

# Site-specific settings
DEFAULT_HOST_NAME   = 'raq.granus.net'
# DEFAULT_URL must end in a slash!
DEFAULT_URL         = 'http://www.granus.net/mailman/'
PUBLIC_ARCHIVE_URL  = '/pipermail'
PRIVATE_ARCHIVE_URL = '/mailman/private'

HOME_PAGE         = 'index.html'
MAILMAN_OWNER     = 'mailman-owner@%s' % DEFAULT_HOST_NAME

SMTPPORT = 25

- doing the last steps to create a site pass, creating a new list ('abc'), copying and editing the /etc/aliases like this (and running newaliases successfully):

# Mailman 2.0.5 settings [13.05.01]
mailman:        lists at granus.net
mailman-owner:  mailman

## abc mailing list
## created: 13-May-2001 root
abc:                     "|/etc/smrsh/wrapper post abc"
abc-admin:               "|/etc/smrsh/wrapper mailowner abc"
abc-request:             "|/etc/smrsh/wrapper mailcmd abc"
abc-owner:               abc-admin

----

The GUI runs pretty fine, but trying to subscribe gives no error message but an entry like this in /var/log/maillog:
May 13 15:09:50 raq sendmail[32214]: PAA32214: from=<NONE>, size=0, class=0, pri=0, nrcpts=0, proto=ESMTP, relay=localhost [127.0.0.1]

The subscription message never arrives...

Trying to post to the test list returns 'no such user here'.

Does anybody have a clue what I was too blind to see, didn't set properly?
<sigh>

Thanks a lot in advance,

regards,

Hendrik.