[Mailman-Users] accidentally altered base URL in Web admin page, now web interface is broken.... help!

Barry A. Warsaw barry at digicool.com
Fri May 25 01:35:18 CEST 2001

    AM> Hey everyone, I think the subject says it all.  Someone
    AM> accidentally changed the base URL to something incorrect on a
    AM> list's admin page, hit the submit changes button, and
    AM> succeeded in breaking the web admin page.

    AM> So my question is: how do I fix this given that the web
    AM> interface page is broken, what are the command line commands I
    AM> need to get it working again?

You must use the command line script bin/withlist to fix this.  Some
thing like the following should do the trick:

-------------------- snip snip --------------------
% python -i bin/withlist -l mylist
>>> m.web_page_url
'http://www.mysite.com/broken-path/'
>>> m.web_page_url = 'http://www.mysite.com/mailman/'
>>> m.Save()
>>> ^D
Unlocking (but not saving) list: mylist
Finalizing

Note that in Mailman 2.1, you will not be able to change web_page_url
(the attribute in question) via the web, so this kind of breakage --
which can happen much too easily, and is rarely needed by list admins
-- will be avoided.

-Barry