[Mailman-Users] qrunner locks are not always removed

Dan Wilder dan at ssc.com
Tue Nov 20 20:27:21 CET 2001

On Tue, Nov 20, 2001 at 10:49:08AM -0800, Harold Paulson wrote:

> >Nov 15 21:51:02 2001 (5617) Could not acquire qrunner lock
>
> This is probably normal behavior.  qrunner starts up from cron once a
> minute.  If there is a lock file laying around, it knows that an
> older qrunner is still active, and shuts itself down.
>
> That being said, this message worried me too, and it's not the first
> time I have seen this question asked.  Maybe we could get a
> friendlier log message here?
>
> Also, I recall older versions of Mailman having locking problems,
> that ended up with a lot of stale locks laying around.

Any chance the lockfile might record, say, a PID, or some other
identifying information which would allow a new invocation of
qrunner to determine whether the lock is stale, and simply remove
it if so?

If memory (forgettery?) serves, that's what UUCP (do I betray my age?)
did.

 Dan Wilder <dan at ssc.com>   Technical Manager & Editor
 SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549   Phone:  206-782-8808
 Seattle, WA  98155-0549    URL http://embedded.linuxjournal.com/