[Mailman-Users] Suggestions for Queuing bulk mailings?

Jim Kutter jim at ebizq.net
Mon Oct 1 21:22:40 CEST 2001

Hello, I know this really isn't the place for this kind of question, but I'm desperate :)

I need to send a newsletter to ~37K people every Monday *night*. We were using Majordomo, and an editor would use a web tool that sent an e-mail to the webmaster (at like 10am monday morning), telling him to send the mailing at XX time that night. So he used "at" to queue a bulk_mail command for majordomo. At XX time that night it would start sending. A day or two later it would finish (sendmail was the MTA)

That stunk, so I switched to Mailman when I came onboard (now that list goes out in ~ 5 hours), and the new procedure is for one user (the editor) with permission to post to send an e-mail to the list. That works, but they still want to queue it so it goes out at night.

I don't think Mailman can do this, so does anyone have any ideas on how to have something setup to start sending at a certain time?

Also can anyone give me hard times for qmail+mailman with a very large list (> 30K members)? I've heard it's "really fast" but that doesn't help me make the sale for qmail...

One last item. What's the best way to setup a list as a newsletter? I currently have posting restricted to one or two users, archives are off, held posts are not mailed back to the sender, and the From: header is set to the list name (but it reports list-admin when I get the message - any way to change that?)

Thanks a ton

-jim
Webmaster
eBizQ