[Mailman-Users] Re: Postfix vs Sendmail

Larry Hansford lhansfor at creativedatasolns.com
Wed Oct 3 02:59:18 CEST 2001

At 03:21 PM 10/2/2001, you wrote:
>Larry, you should be able to drop and insert Postfix right into your server,
>then stop sendmail and startup Postfix.
>You'll have to do bit of tweaking, but if you read the Postfix notes you
>should be alright.

Thanks!  I thought that since the GID would change from the one used for
Sendmail with the ./configure was run, to the new one assigned to Postfix
when it is installed, that I would have to rerun the ./configure and then
rerun the install program.  But, I guess I could just change the GID of
Postfix to that of the old Sendmail one if need be.

What tweaking, other than the GID's, should I have to do?

>BTW: I'm a sendmail user, but I've been on the fence for about 3 years
>following Postfix.  Sendmail gets a bad rap because it came to the
>optimization plate late, but you'll find that its catching up.  If you run
>IDE drives on your mailservers then don't bother with the change, you won't
>see any real improvement.  If you're scsi, then you'll gain some significant
>speed on mass mailings.

I run nothing but SCSI drives on servers -- they last longer, run cooler,
and are faster than most IDE drives.

Larry