[Mailman-Users] installing on OS X

David B. O'Donnell atropos at fates.org
Fri Oct 5 16:29:52 CEST 2001

On Thursday, 4 October 2001 22:31 -0700 Giovanni 8 <john at nisus.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to install on OS X (10.1) and am getting
> a complaint about python not existing... but...

OS X doesn't ship with python by default. Go here to download it:

	<URL:http://www.python.org/2.1.1/#locations>

alternately, if you have a large bottle of painkillers at hand, you can use
the Fink project's method:

	<URL:http://fink.sourceforge.net/>

You *don't* want the MacOS package from MacPython, as that only applies to
Classic MacOS. Configuring and installing python 2.1.1 is quite simple, but
you will need the Developer Tools to do so. If you don't have the 10.1 CD,
go to the Apple Developer Connection to get them (you will need to create a
free account if you do not already have one):

	<URL:http://developer.apple.com/membership/>

Once you log in, go to the Downloads > MacOS X section to obtain the Tools
(187 MB).

With 10.1, Apple seems to have squashed the POST bug in prior Apache
releases, so Mailman 2.0.6 seems pretty stable. If you are trying to
install on OS X Server 10.1, you will need to use an MTA other than
AppleMailServer--I strongly recommend Postfix, which is not too difficult
to use in its place.

--
David B. O'Donnell - atropos at fates.org - www.fates.org
Help rescue cats in need: Fancy Cats Rescue Team, www.fancycats.org