[Mailman-Users] Changing a list name

Mike Avery mavery at mail.otherwhen.com
Fri Oct 12 17:49:16 CEST 2001

On 11 Oct 2001 at 15:24, Marc MERLIN wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 11, 2001 at 04:05:47PM -0600, Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:

>> Mike Avery wrote:
>>> I'd like to change the name of a Mailman hosted
>>> mailing list.  The only way I see to do that is to delete
>>> it and start over, but I really don't want to do that. Is
>>> there a clean way to rename a mailing list?

>> I've never tried this, however others have claimed to
>> be able to do this by simple renaming the aliases,
>> renaming the list directories and archive
>> names, and then setting the name correctly in the
>> configuration.
>> I'd say backup that list before you start fiddling with
>> it. :)
> Barry posted a very exhaustive step by step set of instructions.

> Read the archives.

A check shows Barry's comments were about two months
back, and the instructions were exhaustive, but they

Thanks to Marc and Barry for the pointer and the

Barry asked that $100,000 in pennies be sent to him and
the Mailman developers if we want to see the process
automated and simplified.  That's a bit past my budget
limits, but I think some people would think it was worth
it.  My advice is, "name your lists the way you want them
the first time!"

Mike Avery
MAvery at mail.otherwhen.com
                                    Voice: (970)-642-0282 (home)
                                         (970)-642-0244 (office)
                                             FAX: (970)-642-0282
                                                   ICQ: 16241692
                                             AOL IM: MAvery81230

* Spam is for lusers who can't get business any other way

A Randomly Selected Thought For The Day:
Trust in God, but row away from the rocks. - Indian