[Mailman-Users] lists suddenly broken

Thierry GAGNAIRE thga at yahoo.fr
Fri Oct 12 18:45:22 CEST 2001

Hello,

[I'm French]

I have very big problems with lists that worked very well before
those problems.

I have a domain hosted by cwihosting (virtual hosting).
On my domain, I have created several lists using the mailman product.
All worked well from May 2001 to the end of September.
[I did all the apropriate configuration via the administration
interface ; for some of them I'm still the administrator,
for others I gave the administration to someone I know].

Since the beginning of October, none of these lists work anymore.
I have tried to get help from cwihosting, but their last answer
to my last request was:
<<
There is nothing we can do as your mailing lists are working.  I have
subscribed to your list and received an email from it.  We have created a
list for you on the same account and it is working properly.  You should
check your email addresses or delete and recreate the mailing lists that are
not working on your end.

However, for all the requests I do to the hosting people
(www.cwihosting.com),
they are replying : "all work fine" !!

I have subscribers from different countries in Europe,
and nobody receives any mail since the beginning of October,
and nobody is able to send any mail.
I can access to the admin interface and do subscribing any email.
But new suscriber can't send mail too.
And I see nothing in the admin interface
(no request to be approved, no add to the archives even
when the hosting people told me they did a test with this list,
for example with the 'user at natapassion.com' list I gave them the
admin password, ...)
If I try to subscribe (with a new email account) via the user page,
I receive the mail asking confirmation, but replying is doing anything.

I have also tried to create new a mailing list, but the result is the same.

What can I do ??
Please help !

I suspect the problem occurs on other virtual domain on the same
machine, because I'm subscriber to a list on rcuddy.com and it doesn't
work anymore (to me) ; but the guy doesn't spend time now on Internet
(and so I can't have a confirmation from him) ...

I suspect there is a problem of DNS on this server,
but I'm not sure at all because I don't know how this works,
because when I tried (just today) to subscribe to your list
(mailman-users at python.org)
with an email account owned by my domain
(thgalist at natapassion.com - account which works well everywhere else),
I can't confirm too : my reply to your ask has the following return:
<<

  mailman-users-request at python.org
    SMTP error from remote mailer after RCPT
TO:<mailman-users-request at python.org>:
    host mail.python.org [63.102.49.29]: 550-Open relay. Please see
http://orbz.org/?209.61.186.101
    550 mail from 209.61.186.101 rejected: administrative prohibition (host
is blacklisted)

This during the 2 ou 3 last hours ; and during this time I was able
to subscribe with the current email address as you see (thga at yahoo.fr)

What can I do to "force" the hosting people to open thier eyes ??
[I need VERY VERY evident prooves !]
Could you do something to help ? And/or contact them directly ??
Is there any log file I can see ?
[I have not the rights everywhere on the machine - linux -
but I have a telnet access].

Could you confirm or infirm my suppositions ?
What are the other possiblities ?

Thanks and Regards.

Thierry G.