[Mailman-Users] Old Question, New Twist

Greg Ward gward at mems-exchange.org
Fri Oct 26 00:07:57 CEST 2001

On 25 October 2001, David Pierron said:
> So what I'm getting here is that I should start the Mailman installation
> all over again?

Yes.  It *sounds* like Mandrake's Mailman RPM is broken, so you'll have
to build from source.

> I did mention that a: find / -name configure - turned up nothing on my
> system ... Do I have to acquire more software as well?

Ooh, you *are* a newbie!  ;-)  Congrats on learning how to use "find" and
taking a wild stab in the dark before posting.

Many free software packages for Unix, including Mailman, ship with a
"configure" script which you run before building the software.  Unless
you already have the source for such a package installed on your system,
that "find" command won't turn anything up.

I believe someone else already posted clear instructions on how to
download, unpack, configure and build Mailman.  It's not that hard, you
just have to read the instructions included in the source package.

> I also decided on Sendmail because I want to host many domains with their
> own "virtual" mail server ...  I don't know if PostFix will do this
> ...  The recommendation to remove Postfix and install Sendmail came from
> the book: Linux for Windows NT/2000 Administrators The Secret Decoder Ring
> by Mark Minasi

If *I* was reading a book that told me to install Sendmail, I'd take it
back and demand a refund.  ;-)  But clueful people here have said
Sendmail's not so bad.  I'm just morally opposed to config files that
look like line noise.

        Greg
Greg Ward - software developer                gward at mems-exchange.org