[Mailman-Users] administrative interface failure

Adam Parrish AdamP at abag.ca.gov
Thu Sep 6 21:02:32 CEST 2001

Hello. We're currently running Mailman 2.0.5 on a Solaris 7 machine with Python 2.1.1c1. One of our list administrators was recently trying to add 100+ addresses at a time to a list through the web administration interface. This operation will usually succeed the first time, but when he tries to do the next batch, the administration interface stops responding and /home/mailman/logs/error is updated with the following cryptic abracadabra:

Sep 06 10:29:14 2001 (1659) Delivery exception: 0
Sep 06 10:29:14 2001 (1659) Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/home/mailman/Mailman/Handlers/HandlerAPI.py", line 82, in do_pipeline
func(mlist, msg, msgdata)
File "/home/mailman/Mailman/Handlers/SMTPDirect.py", line 74, in process
deliver(admin, msgtext, chunk, refused)
File "/home/mailman/Mailman/Handlers/SMTPDirect.py", line 210, in deliver
refused = conn.sendmail(envsender, recips, msgtext)
File "/home/mailman/Mailman/pythonlib/smtplib.py", line 496, in sendmail
(code,resp)=self.rcpt(each, rcpt_options)
File "/home/mailman/Mailman/pythonlib/smtplib.py", line 379, in rcpt
return self.getreply()
File "/home/mailman/Mailman/pythonlib/smtplib.py", line 281, in getreply
line = self.file.readline()
File "/home/mailman/Mailman/Cgi/admin.py", line 141, in sigterm_handler
sys.exit(0)
SystemExit: 0

>From what I've read in the list archives, the "Delivery exception" line usually seems to give an actual description of the error, which is why this particular error message seems remarkable to me.

Of course, if our list administrator only adds a reasonable number (50 or so) of addresses at a time, everything is peachy. And, of course, once I delete the lock files, the admin interface works fine. So this might be a case of "'it hurts when I move my arm like this!' 'well, then don't move your arm like that!'," but just the same I'd like to see if other people have had this problem. Anyone?

Thanks,
Adam Parrish