[Mailman-Users] DEFAULT_HOSTNAME?

Eric Pretorious eric at pretorious.net
Tue Sep 25 01:36:52 CEST 2001

I've just spent most of an entire evening trying to understand where
Mailman (i.e., the scripts that build Mailman - configure & make - and
Mailman itself) gets its identity from. I'm attempting to install Mailman
on the host charlie. charlie is the web host for pretorious.net and
funkymonkeybutt.com. A reverse-DNS lookup of charlie's IP address
will return pretorious.net. Mailman will only be accessible via
www.funkymonkey.com (once I get it installed and configured correctly).

I've tried modifying the 'www' and 'url' values of configure and
configure.in

I've tried passing --host and --target to ./configure

I've tried modifying Mailman/mm_cfg.py

...and nothing seems to work in a predictable manner. _Sometimes_ the
values that the cgi scripts return (via HTTP) contain the hostname
'charlie' and _sometimes_ they contain one of the values set using the
methods listed above. e.g., If I use `hostname www.funkymonkeybutt.com` to
temporarily set the hostname env value, `make` begins using pretorious.net
instead of charlie.  And Mailman pretty much ignores the Mailman/mm_cfg.py
values.

Everyone seems to talk about Mailman like it practically installs itself
and then goes about laying golden eggs. What could possibly be causing me
to be the only person on this list with basic installation?

--
Eric P.
Los Gatos, CA