[Mailman-Users] "True" virtual domains [netaktiv.com #99]

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at netaktiv.com
Tue Apr 9 15:36:31 CEST 2002

On Mon, Apr 08, 2002 at 04:57:32PM -0400,
 Jon Carnes <jonc at haht.com> wrote
 a message of 76 lines which said:

> Using Mailman with virtual domains.

Close but it still does not work. I explain:

>  - Create the list using the unique local name

newlist REALNAME

>  - Setup the virtual name and point it to the unique local name (for email
> and for web)

I translated newlist's output to Postfix virtual addresses
("REALNAME:" becomes "VIRTUALNAME at VIRTUALDOMAIN "). It works
for incoming mail.

>  - Web admin to list and under General Options set
>       "Host name this list prefers" to the virtual host name
>       "Base URL for Mailman ..." to the virtual hosting site ***
>  - Web admin, Privacy Options, set
>       "Alias names (regexps).." list to include both the real and the
> virtual name of the list
>  - Web admin, Regular/Digest member options
>       "Footer added..." manually put in the information you want to show up

Done (BTW, I use config_list to do so, it is much easier/faster than
the Web interface.

> happens, go into ~mailman/lists/<listname>/.. and copy "config.db.last" over
> the current "config.db".  You will loose all recent changes, but you will
> once more be able to access the config of the list.

Or use config_list.

> This should let you setup multiple virtual lists with the same primary name:
>   info at backrub.org
>   info at ralphismyfriend.edu

Yes but it still fails for OUTGOING mails. The real name still appears
in many places. I can use Postfix's canonical to rewrite what's in the
headers but it is painful.

And some messages like "We have received a request from 62.212.103.139
for subscription of your email address, <bortzmeyer at gitoyen.net>, to the
REALNAME at VIRTUALDOMAIN mailing list." are not subject to customization.

I feel inclined to say that Mailman does not really support virtual
domains :-(