[Mailman-Users] Mailman vs Sympa

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui at plaidworks.com
Wed Apr 10 19:10:31 CEST 2002

On 4/10/02 9:38 AM, "Devin Atencio" <dreamboy at aros.net> wrote:

> a better mailinglist manager for work. We are currently using
> Majordomo and we want to move away from Majordomo.

Smart move. Good for its time, very long in the tooth.

> I came across Mailman and I like what it has to offer. The Web
> Interface is very nice. I also came across a mailinglist manager
> called Sympa which seemed to have a lot more features.

When I was evaluating MLM's a couple of years back to move off of majordomo,
I originally chose Sympa. I found a couple of issues in implementing it that
made me rethink the decision, tried Mailman, and I've been quite happy with
it. I won't mention  what the issues were, because I know the Sympa folks
have made major improvements to Sympa since then and I don't know that my
issues are remotely relevant any more.

My point is to note that either MLM can work for you. Sympa is basically my
second choice, and it's a good, solid MLM. The two have somewhat different
philosophies on things, but both have active user and developer populations
and are under solid development and enhancement. Which one you use, I guess,
comes down to which group you feel more comfortable with and which feature
set best meets your needs. If I weren't working with Mailman, I'd be using
Sympa.

--
Chuq Von Rospach, Architech
chuqui at plaidworks.com -- http://www.chuqui.com/

Stress is when you wake up screaming and you realize you haven't fallen
asleep yet.