[Mailman-Users] Feature i REALLY miss in gnu/mailman

Dan Wilder dan at ssc.com
Tue Jan 8 00:53:19 CET 2002

On Sun, Jan 06, 2002 at 04:10:50PM +0100, Steinar Eliassen wrote:
> Due to the very nice web-based interface to GNU/Mailman, i have taken nearly
> all my mailinglists from Majordomo to GNU/Mailman. But in this time of HUGE
> ammont of email viruses, there is just ONE THING i miss with mailman, that
> should be VERY simple to implement...
>
> GNU/Mailman can bounce messages that contain stuff in the header of a message
> like TABOO_HEADER in Majordomo, but lacks the TABOO_BODY (bounce emails that
> contains certain stuff in the body of the message). This is VERY handy for
> bouncing emails that contains executables, WORD doduments, Java / VB scripts
> and simular, _very_ handy to stop viruses from coming to the list! :)
>
> I hope this can be implemented! :)

No doubt there are plans in progress.

Meantime, you can achieve very flexible screening by front-ending
mailman's submission address with procmail, or any one of several
other filters.

I myself wouldn't even consider operating a mailing list without
a screening filter on the front end.  That's what we did with our
Majordomo lists, and that's what we do now that all our lists
have been moved to Mailman.

 Dan Wilder <dan at ssc.com>   Technical Manager & Editor
 SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549   Phone:  206-782-8808
 Seattle, WA  98155-0549    URL http://embedded.linuxjournal.com/