[Mailman-Users] Mailman & Htdig integration (with external archiver)

Richard Barrett R.Barrett at ftel.co.uk
Tue Jan 15 13:11:53 CET 2002

At 12:13 15/01/2002 +0100, Sasa Janiska wrote:
>Hi!
>
>I'm a newbie for Mailman and have to setup Mailman with external
>archiver (which one goes better with Mailman: Mhonarc or Hypermail?) and
>Htdig search engine for one non-profit web-oriented educational
>institution.
>
>The search engine should serve searching of the whole site + different
>mailing list which will be created for the students for the different
>courses.
>
>I'm interested if there is some HOWTO document for the above mentioned
>scenario which seems to me as a very common usage of the Mailman?

This is a straight htdig configuration issue. At the minimum you will have
to add start_url directives to htdig's conf file for each of the list
archives or ensure that links from one of the start_url directives in
htdig's conf file eventually lead to each of the list archives. You will
also have to have some sort of cron job to rebuild htdig's search indices
regularly (probably daily) to include new archived material.

>Also, I have seen in FAQ that there is a patch for htdig integration with
>Mailman. Is this patch already included in 2.0.8 source tarball?

The following patches can be applied to the mailman 2.0.8 (and earlier
vesions of 2.0.x) to integrate htdig with Mailman and provide search of
archives generated by the internal (pipermail) archiver.

The patches are not of direct relevance if you have opted to use an
external archiver.

The benefit of the integration of htdig with Mailman archives generated by
pipermail is that it provides per list search facilities with a search form
on each list's archive TOC page and uses Mailman's security mechanism for
limiting access to private mail archives via search responses; in fact you
can only access a private list archive's search form if you are authorised
to access the list. The patches also automatically builds htdig config
files for each archived list and provides cron scripts for maintaining
htdig's search indices.

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=444879&group_id=103&atid=300103

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=444884&group_id=103&atid=300103