[Mailman-Users] Help with INSTALL Step 4

Tim Legg mail_man at pc047113.stuorg.iastate.edu
Tue Jan 15 19:03:52 CET 2002

----
This thread was formally titled as below.  I thought it was vague, so
here continues my quest for mailman.
----

Subject: Re: [Mailman-Users] I don't really know what is right or wrong

Here is my update to everybody out there who has helped me.  Everybody's
info was very helpful!

I have apache and postfix successfully installed on my FreeBSD 4.4 box.

* I rm'd all files/directories pertaining to mailman from /home/mailman
* I created /usr/local/src/mailman and de-arc'd the tar file to that
directory
* make clean didn't work, but I think that had something to do with me
deleting a bunch of stuff in the first step.
* I ran ./configure in /usr/local/src/mailman
	I found out that my mailman is GID=999 UID=1003
	I found out that my postfix is GID=1003 UID=1002
	I didn't enter any parameters into ./configure since
	I wasn't sure how it would handle them.
* make install - went uneventfully
* /home/mailman/bin/check_perms - No Problems

So it appears that steps 1-3 in the INSTALL were successfully completed.
I couldn't have done it without your help.

I am still unsure about how to proceed with step 4.  I am not incredibly
familiar with Apache and I have absolutely no experience with cgi-bin yet.
I have not yet any experience with cron/crontab either.  To tell you the
truth, I am afraid to proceed any further since I am afraid I might screw
up and have to start all over again.

I am not sure if I should just jump right in and modify my
apache/httpd.conf script like Darren recommended last week.  If anybody
has suggestions about how I should continue, please let me know.

I have saved all my e-mails from this list for a month back, so feel free
to refer to others e-mails.