[Mailman-Users] Installation on Mac OSX

Michael Johnson michael at emjay.net
Wed Mar 6 16:52:46 CET 2002

On Tuesday, March 5, 2002, at 11:18 PM, David B. O'Donnell wrote:

> You might want to take a look at the article I wrote for AFP548.com on
> installing Mailman under Mac OS X Server:
> <URL:http://www.afp548.com/Articles/mail/python-mailman.html> I don't
> believe there are any steps to the process that are *specific* to Mac
> OS X Server, though you may need to make some adjustments if you're not
> also running Postfix as your MTA. Regardless, I've had Mailman 2.0.8
> running under Mac OS X Server for several months now and serve a number
> of lists from it without problem.

I've been looking on this page for some time now, and noted one
problem.  Under the section to create a group, you have the niutil
commands almost right.  The first one is -create, but the others have to
be -createprop.  That stumped me for about 5 minutes.  *GRIN*

Then, I went to do the ./configure using:

./configure --prefix=/Users/mailman --with-mail-gid=6 --with-cgi-gid=www

Yes, the mail GID on my machine is 6, but I didn't get that far.

Once again, when I get to the part in the configure script where it
looks for the users, it can't find the user mailman.  Here's the last
bit of the output of the script:

checking for mailman UID... ./configure: permission denied: conftest.py
[1152]
/usr/local/bin/python: can't open file 'conftest.py'
cat: conftest.out: No such file or directory

configure: error:
***** No "mailman" user found!
***** Your system must have a "mailman" user defined
***** (usually in your /etc/passwd file).  Please see the INSTALL
***** file for details.

reading the NetInfo database, it shows the following:

[smudette:/Developer/mailman-2.0.8] root# niutil -read / /users/mailman
name: mailman
uid: 5990
home: /Users/mailman
shell: /bin/tcsh
passwd: HkQS3pxAPyKbA

[smudette:/Developer/mailman-2.0.8] root# niutil -read / /groups/mailman
name: mailman
gid: 5990
passwd: *
users: mailman

Yes, the GID and UID of 5990 were open so I used them just as the
directions on the page described.

Now, I'm really stumped.

-Michael