[Mailman-Users] Problem with the dreaded mail GIDs

Simon Coles simon at coles.to
Thu Mar 21 23:06:05 CET 2002

Hi,

I've been trying for the past couple of evenings to get Mailman working on
my system - its a RedHat 7.1 machine with the Ensim control panel installed
(not that I wanted Ensim; but I don't think it matters for this).

My sendmail.cf has the following in:

  O DefaultUser=8:12

So I configure Mailman with:

./configure --with-cgi-gid="www www-data apache nobody" --with-mail-gid="12"

And then I do
  make clean;make install

When I try to post to a list, I get

Mar 21 16:55:00 ensim sendmail[11168]: g2LLt0o11167:
to="|/home/mailman/mail/wrapper mailowner outlook-03-2002",
ctladdr=<outlook-03-2002-admin at mailman.coles.org.uk> (8/0), delay=00:00:00,
xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=prog, pri=138400, dsn=4.0.0, stat=Operating system
error

And the mail is left in the queue with "Operating system error"

If I su to "mail", I can invoke from the command line

  /home/mailman/mail/wrapper mailowner outlook-03-2002

Just fine. If I su to nobody (or anyone else) it gives an error message
about the wrong GID.

I've tried different --with-mail-gid options, including:
  - "mail"
  - "mail, nobody"
  - "12, 99, 0"

If you give it multiple values, the configure script seems to pay attention
only to the last one; the installation instructions seem to imply you can
have multiple values for this field.

I'm going mad here; does anyone have any tips? I appreciate its probably a
simple configuration error, but I'm getting to despair :-(.

Many thanks for any help,

Simon

Simon J. Coles                                   Email: simon at coles.to
=============== Life is too precious to take seriously ===============