[Mailman-Users] Desparation...

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.kug.ac.at
Tue Mar 26 15:10:06 CET 2002

Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:
> rjones at email.unc.edu wrote:
>>Unfortunately, I cannot get the Mailman script to
>>accept incoming messages and distribute them... Messages are returned
>>with the statment "user unknown" for messages sent to the listserv,
>>just as though I had sent a message to the server with a random 30
>>digit number as the user.
>>   ----- Transcript of session follows -----
>>... while talking to mail.usstudents.org.:
>><<< 550 5.1.1 <russ at usstudents.org>... User unknown
>>550 5.1.1 <russ at usstudents.org>... User unknown
>     Obvious question: does the account 'russ' actually exist on that server/domain pair?

i guess, "russ" is the mailing-list to be run at the "usstudents.org"
is this true ??
when creating a new list, you will have to make the mail-server be aware
of the new pseudo-user.
on linux you are likely to have to add the lines generated by the
"newlist"-script to your /etc/aliases file.
you can do this, with the "-o <filename>" option of newlist
(newlist --help)