[Mailman-Users] Mailman Virtual Hosting - my findings

Raquel Rice raquel at thericehouse.net
Wed Nov 6 02:01:34 CET 2002

On Wed, 6 Nov 2002 01:25:00 +0100
Michael <info at lashampoo.com> wrote:

> >to the >> list manager always contains a base URL from the "real"
> >host name of >> the server.
> >of a >> list at the time of creation? As I said, I am new to this
> >so maybe I >> just haven't seen the right documentation yet.
> >>

> >> That's the question I was asking this morning:
> >>

> > There is no mention of which version either of you are using.
> > There are things which change from version to version.  In a
> > generic way, your questions have been answered.  Depending upon
> > which version you're using, your question may have been answered
> > specifically.  We are all volunteers, responding to questions as
> > we have the time and as we feel we're able.  Have you checked
> > the archives of this list?  While you're answering the questions
> > I've asked you and waiting for me to have a few seconds in an
> > already very busy schedule, maybe you can check that out?
>

> You're right Raquel, but I was just pointing out the fact many
> people on this list were looking for the same thing. That's all. I
> was not yelling or being impatient, and didn't mean to hurt your
> sensibility. You seem to be very busy indeed. Keep cool Raquel.
> ;-)
>
> For you question, I'm actually using version 2.1b4
>
> As I said on this list, I've already search the archives for that
> answer before posting any new question. It seems to have no
> solution for multi-hosting since version 2.1. The feature "Base
> URL for Mailman web interface." in the web interface "General
> Option Sections" seems have been removed in the version 2.1 but
> was existing in the version previous version 2.0
>
> Or am I wrong ?
>
> Michael.

Of course, it may have changed from 2.1b3 to version 2.1b4, but you
may want to check out "Defaults.py".  This is found in the archives.
 It does not give you the ability to have two list names which are
the same, on two different domains however.  (You'll have to work
with the line lengths below)

# Mailman needs to know about (at least) two fully-qualified domain
# names(fqdn); 1) the hostname used in your urls, and 2) the
# hostname used in email addresses for your domain.  For example, if
# people visit your Mailman system with "http://www.dom.ain/mailman"
# then your url fqdn is "www.dom.ain", and if people send mail to
# your system via "yourlist at dom.ain" then your email fqdn is
# "dom.ain".  DEFAULT_URL_HOST controls the former, and
# DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST controls the latter.  Mailman also needs to
# know how to map from one to the other (this is especially
# important if you're running with virtual domains).  You use
# "add_virtualhost(urlfqdn, emailfqdn)" to add new mappings.
#
# If you don't need to change DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST and
# DEFAULT_URL_HOST in your mm_cfg.py, then you're done; the default
# mapping is added automatically.  If however you change either
# variable in your mm_cfg.py, then be sure to also include the
# following:
#
#     add_virtualhost(DEFAULT_URL_HOST, DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST)
#
# because otherwise the default mappings won't be correct.

--
Raquel