[Mailman-Users] Wish: Spam by vacation notifications in Mailman

Nigel Metheringham Nigel.Metheringham at dev.InTechnology.co.uk
Mon Nov 18 11:22:03 CET 2002

On Fri, 2002-11-15 at 23:44, Jon Carnes wrote:
> The real culprit is the idiot who sets his filter to respond to all mail (as
> opposed to mail sent directly to them).  Even then a responsible person only
> send the message once in response to any one individual!

Unfortunately the new 2.1 personalisation stuff can fool mail filters
into thinking that mail is personally for their owner as opposed to list
mail.   However the agent should not IMNSHO be sending its replies to
the From: or Reply-To: addresses, but should send them to the envelope
sender address (although I know a couple of notables on this list do not
agree with this point - depending on whether you view an autoreply as a
form of bounce or as a delegated action by the agent owner).

My normal action is my normal reasoned level of pre-emptive
retaliation.  If autoreplies are coming to the list (which fortunately
so far has always caught them), or to list members then the address
causing the autoreply is removed from all my lists, a flame is sent, and
frequently the address and/or domain is added to my MTAs blacklist.

	Nigel.