[Mailman-Users] Problem with Postfix + Mailman, "unresolved" aliases...

Emilio Giulio Orsenigo e.orsenigo at cegportal.com
Thu Apr 3 18:17:44 CEST 2003

Hi all, i have a problem with my installation of Mailman on Postfix;
That's the first time i try to install Mailman, so i've read all of the
archives and FAQ's before deciding to post on this mailing list :(

The (weird) problem is simply this one: my postfix authenticate against a
MySQL database, and there are the aliases too. Mailman had his own aliases
file, to keep in synchro with postfix. I've configured Mailman (i think it
is ok) so when i wrote to [list-name][at][domain] the MTA catch correctly
the alias [list-name] in the aliases file. Now comes the trouble: the alias
is in this form:

pippo:             "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post pippo"
[others follows]

where "pippo" is the list name.

So, i don't get mail delivered, and in the postfix logs i read:

Apr  3 18:53:22 firewall postfix/local[31956]: D27286D464:
to=<|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post pippo at ubris.org>,
orig_to=<pippo at ubris.org>, relay=local, delay=0, status=bounced (unknown
user: "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post pippo")

just like it was searching a user called "|/usr/local/...blabla" !!!

And the thing i can't understand is that if i from the shell do:

# su postfix
# echo "[fake-mail with headers]" | /usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post
pippo at ubris.org

i got the mail perfectly delivered to all subscribers of pippo at ubris.org,