[Mailman-Users] Mm 2.1.1 dies after system upgrade: no mod getopt

Christopher Kolar ckolar at imsa.edu
Wed Apr 9 20:48:55 CEST 2003

To answer Barry's question, here are the packages that Mandrake installed
in the upgrade:

>[root at iti root]# rpm -qa | grep python
>python-2.2.2-6mdk
>libpython2.2-2.2.2-6mdk
>python-fam-1.0.2-2mdk
>rpm-python-4.0.4-28mdk
>python-base-2.2.2-6mdk
>postgresql-python-7.3.2-5mdk
>python-docs-2.2.2-6mdk
>libpython2.2-devel-2.2.2-6mdk
>python-numeric-22.0-2mdk
>python-imaging-1.1.3-1mdk

While I look for additional packages, one thing that Mandrake did on my box
as to severely harden permissions.  /usr/bin was changed to 751 which gave
me problems when trying to recompile Mm as user mailman (the configure
script reported missing pieces, apparently because it could not read the
directory contents).  Just thought I'd share that bit.  Thanks.

--chris

At 01:39 PM 4/9/2003, Jon Carnes wrote:

>It sounds like a python problem.  Try installing python from source on
>your server and see if that clears up the problem.
>
>Note: this is the second complaint this week about accessing Python on
>Mandrake 9.1 system.
>
>Jon Carnes
>
>On Wed, 2003-04-09 at 14:10, Christopher Kolar wrote:
> > Hello.  I have been happily running 2.1.1 and recently had to upgrade
> my OS
> > (to Mandrake 9.1 using python 2.2.2).    In addition to the expected
> > problems, Mailman stopped working.  I went through the configure/install
> > process without many problems.  When I try to start the mailman service I
> > get 10 pages of the following:
> > 'import site' failed; use -v for traceback
> > Traceback (most recent call last):
> > Traceback (most recent call last):
> >    File "/home/mailman/bin/qrunner", line 72, in ?
> >      import getopt
> > ImportError: No module named getopt
> >    File "/home/mailman/bin/qrunner", line 72, in ?
> >      import getopt
> > ImportError: No module named getopt
> >    File "/home/mailman/bin/qrunner", line 72, in ?
> >      import getopt
> > ImportError: No module named getopt
> > Could not find platform independent libraries <prefix>
> > Could not find platform dependent libraries <exec_prefix>
> > Consider setting $PYTHONHOME to <prefix>[:<exec_prefix>]
> > 'import site' failed; use -v for traceback
> > Traceback (most recent call last):
> >    File "/home/mailman/bin/qrunner", line 72, in ?
> >      import getopt
> > ImportError: No module named getopt
> >
> > I have seen some other posts to the list mentioning problems with python
> > installations.  I would appreciate it is anyone could shed light on this
> > problem.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > --chris
> >

> > /////\\\\\/////\\\\\
> > Christopher G. Kolar
> >     Coordinator of Information and Technology Integration
> >     Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy
> >   ckolar at imsa.edu  --
> > <http://staff.imsa.edu/~ckolar>staff.imsa.edu/~ckolar --  PGP Public Key
> > ID: 0xC6492C72
> >          Information literacy news, tools, and programs:
> >
> <mailto:infoliteracy-subscribe at iti.cnsnet.imsa.edu>infoliteracy-subscribe at iti.cnsnet.imsa.<mailto:infoliteracy-subscribe at iti.cnsnet.imsa.edu>edu
> > Searchable Archives:
> >
> > This message was sent to: jonc at nc.rr.com
> > Unsubscribe or change your options at